stephsantos: How do you feel towards plastic surgery? Personally I get so annoyed when people tell me that i shouldn't get a nose job when I mention that I want one. And it also really bothers me when people call women who get plastic surgery "fake" because making a personal decision about changing your body is no one's business and it does not make anyone any less of a "real" person... idk maybe I'm over-thinking this?
I agree. I am anti-body policing/body-shaming, and that includes surgery of any kind.
It’s awful to body shame people who get cosmetic surgery, because the cast majority of that vitriol is directed at women.
The system looks like this:
- Raise little girls to believe their looks are their only source of value
- Starting pre-gradeschool, bombard them with images of what the ideal women looks like: Eurocentric features, skinny build light skin, small nice, big lips, youthful tight skin, medium-large breasts, small waist, no body hair, long-legs, able-bodied, etc.
- Right when they’re entering teenagedom, hit them with a ton of advertisements displaying products meant to hide “flaws” and diminish “problem areas”; tell them their can buy their way to conventional beauty
- Show them magazines featuring photoshopped celebrities that points out their plastic surgeries, showing them how much better those people look in their “after” photos
- After finally choosing to get plastic surgery, shame those same girls for being “fake” and “shallow” and caring too much about how they look